CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Dean's List



Yay, I made Dean's List! Here is a re-enactment of my reaction.

That being said, here are the lessons I have learned thus far from law school.
1. Law school is like high school. People told me this, and I didn't want to believe them. But it's true. Gossip is rampant. There's actually a group of girls who talk about who does and doesn't wash their hands after they pee. The law is obviously pretty boring if people can't find anything more interesting than that to discuss. Also, if you drive to class with someone of the opposite sex, you are sleeping with them. OMG.
2. Writing your exams in the style and format the professor wants can be just as important as having a true grasp of the material. For finals, I primarily studied old tests and how students who got As worded their arguments and made their points. I didn't fall much below my friend who studied 24/7 and has a truly daunting understanding of everything we covered.
3. Don't sit by the same person in every class. For one thing, you can meet more people by varying your seat. For another, the person you sit by might start to annoy you mid-semester...and you are stuck. All. Year.
4. Take the word "mandatory" in front of "meeting" with a grain of salt. The career counselors say all the meetings are required. They don't take attendance. They won't know if you're there or not, and for the most part you don't need to be.
5. Most importantly, if you're lost and don't know what to do with your life, don't go. Several of my friends (and myself) came to law school because our undergrad degrees were useless and we didn't know what else to do. However, unless you have true dedication and drive to be a lawyer, the willpower needed to make yourself study and deal with all the pessimism they feed you is immense (the profs talk about malpractice and how we are not going to find jobs almost every day. Very uplifting). Your peers are arrogant, your professors are disparaging, and the reward for getting through it are endless 80-hour work weeks. I enjoy learning for its own sake, and I've made some good friends, but if I had it to do over again I probably would choose a different path.
(The above list does not imply I'm miserable. And of course I might like being a lawyer. Mistakes can always work out if you try to move them in a positive direction, and luckily I have great parents and friends, as well as my ridiculously cute chihuahua, to make it through. But if you have Googled "should I go to law school" and stumbled upon this--the answer is NO.)
Outfit: Does this dress look familiar? Ha, I bought it in two colors. Express. Tights: Francesca's. Shoes: Liz Claiborne. Necklace: Francesca's. Cami: Express.

7 comments:

V said...

Congrats on making the dean's list! Cute outfit.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on makeing the Dean's List!!

I am going to share your "should I go to law school" part with my hubby. He has been considering it for quite some time, but there are many factors that go into a decision like this. He is on the fence and would like to go, but ..... (time, money, etc.)

*Diane* said...

Congrats on making the Dean's List. Maybe be oyu could pursue free lance writing on the side...if you can find time btwn blogging, school and having a social life, becuase you're hilarious and a great writer :-)

Tabitha said...

YAY congrats!!!!

Erica said...

Thanks all!

D'Rae--your husband can email me if he wants to ask any questions about what a day in law school is like, or what I did to prepare for the LSAT.

Lady D--I did do some freelance writing and editing before law school! I loved it.

Sheila said...

Ack! Erica! Congratulations! Dean's List is a huge accomplishment. I'm so proud of you.

Those are definitely some words of wisdom there.

Love your outfit - it's so cute! Your poses made me laugh.

Jen said...

i love your reinactment pictures :) And congratualtions!!