CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Suitacular


















Outfit: Brown Cardigan: Ann Taylor Loft; Sheer Button-Down: AT Loft; Necklace: Outlet store; Snakeskin print sneakers: Liz Claiborne; Jean Pencil Skirt: Old Navy

Tomorrow I’m going to my first law school event, and I’m excited, even more so because I just got two suits, a pencil skirt, and a button-down at Ann Taylor Loft for $120! (They were having an amazing sale and I had a 20% off coupon.) I’m trying to slowly add to my suit collection over the course of the year so that I’m prepared if I do get an internship over the summer. Buying several nice suits at once really seems like it would break the bank.

Anyway, it’s the annual “Women in Law” event, where there will be panels on balancing your life with family and work, etc. and a cocktail hour to mingle with Dallas attorneys. Unfortunately, several girls I’ve talked to have had pretty much the same reaction to this that they did to the fashion show—that it’s a waste of time and somehow a step backwards to be joining a women’s group.

To me, though, there’s no point in pulling back your hair and pretending there’s nothing filling out the front of your sweater. I’m truly inspired by strong women who are proud of their femininity, who can get things done and look great doing it.

And I would think that networking with powerful women in the area would be much more advantageous to your career than trying to schmooze some paunchy old man. I worked in a law building for two years during undergrad, and one of the lawyers actually told me he didn’t like women on his juries because they were too talkative and frivolous. I’m assuming that he doesn’t have many female associates in his firm, and that there are probably a lot of pompous older gentlemen much like himself in the field. Something to look forward to, right there.

But hopefully tomorrow I’ll make some connections and get my frivolous little heel in the door, or at least well-positioned in front of it.

2 comments:

Sheila said...

You look so cute. I love the shoes.

I totally agree - those women schmooze things are a great way to network, particularly in a field like law where you still see that "old boys' network" (I work in real estate and deal with lawyers constantly - it's another field where women are not as plentiful). I think men mistake women's ability to bond and make emotional connections over so-called "frivolous" topics (like fashion) as a weakness rather than a strength.

Women who don't get this are missing out - even in this day and age, putting your best foot forward in presenting yourself looking as good as possible, is always an advantage. Strong, intelligent women recognize this.

And really smart women know how to work both sides. You strike me as pretty smart. :)

*Diane* said...

Simple but cute outfit!