CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Bridesmaid Revisited


This is what I wore this weekend to order my bridesmaid dress for an upcoming January wedding . . . the dress is purple and bright green. (I won't comment, but you feel free.)
I was a little depressed about the price going in, but then I got a discount and used the extra money to buy a lavender and gray color block dress at Target...I also searched for this amazing bagged salad that has little nuts and cranberries and apple cider dressing with it, but no luck. I bought it last week and can't find it again! But I recommend it if you're also in Target shopping for cute sweaterdresses and more costume jewelry that you absolutely don't need but inevitably keep buying.

And today I just wore my PJs, because I have a large project due next week and decided just to tackle the bulk of it today. I feel like I'm learning so much, but I'm also bored...the law is so dry and plodding, and more often than not I deeply miss my Brontes class, or my Native American Studies class, or my VicLit class...I think after I've worked for a few years I'd like to start night classes for a master's in English, just for my own enjoyment...we'll see.

Right now I'm re-reading Emma, which was always my favorite Austen book, for the first time in several years, and I'm finding it very different. Of course I'm bringing different life experiences with me now, but I'm not finding the heroine all that charming and likeable...her manipulations and self-centered musings strike me as cruel, not folly, and Mr. Knightley seems more overbearing and obnoxiously self-important than commanding and wise. Whereas earlier this summer I re-read Persuasion and found it much more beautiful and poignant than when I tackled it a few years back...which is why literature is superior to law. It's always transforming, changing as you do, and the joy of a great novel is that you can always find something new in it and yourself. And the law...is the law. :/

But I always appreciate book suggestions if anyone else has them! I genuinely love all kinds of books, but right now I'm particularly interested in women's memoirs.

Also, when it's colder, should I pair this with tights and a funky shoe? Or footless leggings and a ballet flat?


This was a budget outfit:
Dress: JC Penney's $15
Stretch croc belt: Nordstrom BP $10
Shoes: Liz Claiborne Outlet $15
Necklace: JC Penney $4
Ring: White House Black Market...this ring was free because the company lost my order and then reimbursed my card...and then the package came two months later after bouncing all over the place!

6 comments:

*Diane* said...

I love your dress, i like the whole outfit! Very chic!

Sheila said...

I would totally do this with a thin turtleneck underneath and tights (and boots!). You look great!

If you like autobiography, I'd recommend Helen Forrester's series:

- Twopence to Cross the Mersey
- Liverpool Miss
- By the Waters of Liverpool
- Lime Street at Two

They're about growing up in Liverpool in the Depression - she's so inspirational.

90-Dayer said...

You look awesomely cute. In winter, you can pull your dress off with a mustard 3/4 sleeve cardigan and black or gray tights (I think gray would be hot!)

Purple and light green, eh? I'm sure you'll look beautiful in whatever and it's only for a few hours :O)

*Diane* said...

Purple and green might not be so bad...lol. i'd have to see the dress first.

*Diane* said...

oh and by the way, i tagged you for "I love Your Blog" Award

Erica said...

Thanks all! Can you believe I actually don't own a turtleneck? It's almost never cold enough here...but I might try to find a thin one!

Also, thanks, Sheila for the book recommendations, I will check them out! They sound right up my alley, as that's also one of my favorite periods of history.

Penny-Pinching Princess--thanks for the compliment! And I hadn't thought of gray tights till you said it, but I already went out and bought some. :)

Lady D--thanks for the blog award! I was excited and passed it on.