CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 6, 2008

Goin' to the Chapel...Again and Again


This weekend brought another wedding, but this time we just went to the reception. The bride was beautiful, and her dress was amazing--it was cream and had a lovely vintage feel, rather than the strapless princess pouf look favored by so many right now.


Honestly, though, I still haven't caught the nuptial bug, and every wedding or engagement brings up the sometimes-sore subject of me not wanting to get married in the foreseeable future. I've been with my boyfriend for four years, we lived together before I had to go back to school, and the assumption is that, yes, we will eventually tie the knot.


But I hate being asked about it, or told, "Oh, it will happen for you!" Generally, I don't feel like I'm being left behind or left out--I'm just moving in a different direction. I like living alone, and that the only socks in the drawer are mine. I like not worrying about buying a house or having babies or cooking dinner after I've spent 12 hours on schoolwork. I like knowing how to pay my own bills and put together my own shoerack. And I really like not justifying why I had to have that pair of $200 boots.


In short, while I do want to get married eventually, right now I'm not ready to give up my own freewheeling autonomy. I want to pursue my career, and travel, and cook or clean or not as I please. But with so many of my friends getting married and trying for babies, it's hard to keep it in perspective, and in the face of it all my fears of becoming a Ms. Havisham-type spinster occasionally get the better of me. Although I'd rather be her than crazy Bertha in the attic, I suppose.


Okay, rant over.


Outfit: Dress: One.September; Mary-jane kitten heels: Nine West Outlet; Clutch: Bandolino; Jewelry: NY&Co.

3 comments:

*Diane* said...

Love your Dress! Very simple but cute

Ally said...

I'm with you 100%. I've been w/my bf for nearly 2 years and we've pretty much lived together the whole time (we're insane).

Neither of us is in a rush down the aisle and are totally happy with that. I'm SO TIRED of being asked when we'll get married. So tired.

Sheila said...

I lived with my ex for over 5 years, and got thoroughly sick of the questions about when we were going to get married.

As it turns out, we would have been divorced by now, so it's all good.

And although I ended up married (and we adore each other, it's quite sickening), if you don't want to, don't. Screw everyone else - it's none of their business. :)

Oh, and you look lovely in this dress!